Saturday 23 June 2012

Resort 2013: expanding my fashiony knowledge

Whilst catching up with what the fashion houses have to offer for their resort 2013 collections (you know, the one mostly without the catwalk- devoted to the high-fliers in life for their resort breaks yah?) on style.com, I thought I would mix it up a little and click on designers I'm not as familiar with * cough don't have a fuck who they are*-and expand my knowledge so I can be top fashion wanker extraordinaire. Here are my top picks!


BCBG Max Azria 






Ok- before you judge I had heard of Max Azria before -I just never really had a good look through his collections/ BCBG Max Azria collections before now- so calm down.

Anyway!

BCBG Max Azrias resort 2013 collection offers a refreshed take on colour blocking with softer, more pastel tones being teamed with flashes of fuschia and electric blue. The middle eastern style prints used throughout the collection look especially awesome on the leather, tailored jackets in my opinion and I love how the overall look of the collection is structured but in a very relaxed way. Like, everything has this very floaty/ summery/ hippy chick vibe to it but there is some great tailoring going on. 

Here's the link to the full collection: http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/2013RST-BCBG/

Chris Benz







It was the bows that won me over- LOOK at them- initially but then in closer inspection I actually really enjoyed this collection. The prints are not what I would normally be drawn to but they've been used really well. I like the play on proportion within the silhouette and the chunky paper bag part of the paper bag maxis.


View the full collection here: http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/2013RST-CBENZ/


Kelly Wearstler









This collection looks like someone's asked guests at an insanely cool party if they can take their picture for their fashion blog- it was me!-lies. Nah but honestly, it is such a cool collection and the "ready-to-wear" part of resort collections is totally applicable here. I feel as though I could grab any garment and style it with my own wardrobe pretty easily- I'm looking in particular at the rainbow disco blazer with the black horizontal lines (above, middle) as that will go WITH EVERYTHING. Shame it definitely costs a bomb. 


Here is the rest of the cool kid collection here: http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/2013RST-KWEARSTLER/


Prabal Gurung






Prabal Gurung- where have you been all my life!? (apologies if you had only just got that annoying Rihanna song out your head) And this isn't even my favourite collection from him- check out his Spring 2012 ready-to-wear collection (http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/S2012RTW-PGURUNG) It. Is. Amazing. But getting back to this little gem too, the nature-inspired geometric prints have managed to be used busily but the overall look is chic and not sickly at all (which can sometimes happen). He's even managed to highlight the prints with eye-popping colour and black and it still looks awesome. Another point worth talking about is the tailoring and construction of the garments in this collection; the dresses in particular- just look at the red and white floor-length ones (above) I need them in my life, like, right now. Also, the cool-as-fuck chick with the sunglasses in the short suit (top right)? I want to be her. 

Have a gander at the rest of the collection here: http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/2013RST-PGURUNG

Preen






The tailoring in this collection is INSANE. I know, I keep banging on about it but when someone does it right- it must be said. This collection is sort of office-chic-meets-sportswear-luxe with some really pretty and feminine dresses sprinkled on top. Love the geometric prints and the colour palette- the green works surprisingly well. 

Here is the link to the rest of the collection: http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/2013RST-PREEN/

Sea





Sea is a relatively new fashion brand that cuts the flamboyant bullshit (even though I love it, I'd rather buy something that is actually wearable on my budget) and delivers easy to wear but super stylish clothes. Even better news, is that unlike most designers found on style.com, fashionistas on a smaller wage can stop crying into their primarni knock-offs and actually afford to purchase an item from their collection. Well, it's no primark price-tag that's for sure but instead of £3000 upwards for a dress, you're maybe looking at anything from £150 to £500. The jacket (above, second from right) is totally worth saving the pennies for.


Here is the rest: http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/2013RST-SEA


Theyskens' Theory 








I have totes saved the best for last, so I hope you're actually still reading my ramblings as this brand is not one to be missed! If you put on anything from this collection you will instantly turn into one of the coolest people on the planet. Ever. See the way that model up there is walking? All down to the clothes, I met her, she is a massivo nerd with no rhythm. So maybe the price-tag is worth the social skills you will gain...? I'll keep telling myself that as I take loans out in order to purchase a few items. If you're perhaps reading this and thinking "meh, I don't think it's all she's making it up to be" then you need to take a closer look at this collection- it's all in the details. This collection not only has been designed well but the sourcing of the material is where it's at. I am so in love with that sort of velveteen fabric used on the jumpsuit (above, middle row, left) that catches the light to create warm, glowing tones. Also, I love sheer fabrics and the super see-through black stuff used to make the maxi skirt (above, top row, right) is incredible, as is the fabric used for the accompanying jumper. My favourite however, has to be the tie-dye silk skirt (above, middle row, second from right) that has been created in such a way that it looks like it has a jumper made out of the same material tied around it- SO cool. 

Here is the rest of the collection here: http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/2013RST-TTHEORY/

Anyway, bit of a mammoth blog entry but I hope you discovered a few more awesome fashion brands that you hadn't heard of or looked at before. It's ok kids, we WILL be fashion wanker extraordinaires one day

x

No comments:

Post a Comment